~My whole act is confession~

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.


Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Levi: The Love of My Eternity (My fave true story)

Just for the record, I am a boy. I fell in love with a boy. If you’re homophobic, then please, do me the favor of not reading this and please don’t leave me you’re hate comments. I don’t care.
My name is Kiyoshi, and I’m 17 years old. I met Levi when I was a mere two years old. He was four. We met because my father and his mother were having an affair with eachother. My momma ended up leaving, and Levi’s mother ended up leaving too. Instead of hating eachother, we were polite to eachother. Through the years, we would ocassionally say hi, maybe have a play date or two.
We didn’t really start getting close until I was eight, and he was ten. We stuck to eachother like glue. Okay, more like I stuck to him like glue, and he was the one trying to pry us apart. As much as he treated me like shit, I knew he didn’t mind me all in all. He could’ve gotten rid of me anytime he wanted. He never did. He just acted annoyed by my sweet gestures, like a typical ‘manly man’.
I’ve always known that I wanted Levi to be my ‘boyfriend’, and when I was nine, I told him that I was going to marry him one day. He looked at me, laughed, called me an idiot, and said I was absurd. I stuck to my statement.
As time progressed, Levi became more closed off and confined to his own self, and I was the opposite. I blurted out everything about my life, not a bit embarrased, scared, or worried that he would judge me. He always listened, never complained.
And the times that I would show up at his house during the middle of night, sobbing and barely able to stand, he would engulf me in his embrace, rocking me back and forth and kissing my forehead until the tears stopped. After I would stop, he would let go, pretend none of it happened, and I wouldn’t dare bring it up. It was something that didn’t need to be talked about.
I’m not going to lie. The things he would say to me weren’t pleasant, and some people would wonder why I even hung around him, but whatever came out of his mouth, I would hear differently. If he said, “You’re a fucking dumbass,” when I walked to his house late at night, I would hear it as, “That was dangerous. You could’ve gotten hurt.” As he’s said to me before, I knew his unspoken words and emotions.
When I was 14, my brother Leiko (I know it’s a disrespected girl’s name. That’s how much of a meanie my dad was, giving him a name like that) passed away. I got into a lot of..Bad things. Though through all those bad things, I found what I thought was love with a boy named Matt. He meant the world to me.
At a certain point in my life, when I was 15, I was admitted to a rehabilitation center. Levi was very aware of my addictions (they don’t need to be named), and he was less than pleased. He told my father, and my father stuck me in rehab.
I beat my addictions. Things were back to normal for a very little while. Life was okay. Then when I was 16, he was 18, he was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma cancer. He didn’t talk for an entire month. He barely acknowledged me.
When he finally pulled himself together and started talking again, and he was changed. The old, pessimistic, quite, tempermental Levi was attempting to smile at me, encourage me, and he was working so hard on his temper. It was confusing and hard to adjust to, but I got used to it.
A lot happened within a month of him having cancer. His girlfriend broke up with him because of the loss of his hair (what a bitch, right?), my boyfriend of two years got a girl pregnant and was with another girl also (I ended up breaking up with him, and that didn’t end well, but I would prefer not to talk about that), I met my and Levi’s half-brother for the first time (yes, I know I didn’t mention that before. Levi’s mother got pregnant by my father, and you know what happened. Out popped a baby, said baby was adopted, I didn’t try to know him.), and oh gosh. It was stressful.
Things slowly started getting better. After one lot of chemo, he was cancer free. Things were great. We were closer than ever. I was so happy. Everything was okay. But then the cancer came back. Cancer is a big hereditary thing in his family, by the way. His aunt, grandpa, and uncle died of cancer.
I was 17 (the age I am now), and he was 19. In August, my father left, and I was left with my uncle. The very same week, I was in the hospital due to my own problems (they were rather minor compared to cancer, mind you. I was only in there for about a week, so no need to talk about that), and Levi was with me the entire time. We were just laying in a bed together (which we got in trouble for later) because I was crying, and he was trying to calm me down, and out of nowhere, he kissed me.
This was a HUGE surprise to me. I had been in love with Levi for so long. After all, he was the one I wanted to marry when I was a kid, and I’ll tell you, that feeling was still there. Even while being with Matt, my feelings for Levi were barely stifled. My love for Levi could and would not be ignored. It was impossible.
After the kiss, he left the room. He left me there the whole night, my own thoughts eating me alive. For all I had known, he was straight. I was so confused.
The next day, he came back in the room, and we just stared at eachother for what seemed like an eternity, though it was only a few minutes, as I remember from looking at the clock. It was so pin drop silent that my heart beat sounded like the ticking of a clock. It was torture.
He approached me with slow steps. I can still imagine what it felt like. It seemed like he was in slow motion, taking forever to get by my side. His hand reached out for me, and I just stared. The hand fell upon the top of my head, his slender fingers ruffling my black locks of hair, and then he tilted his head to the side with a smile, his gorgeous green eyes crinkling at the corners of his eyes in the cutest way. Then he leaned forward, his lips touching mine again for the second time in my life.
No words were spoken. We just kissed, then he laid in the bed with me. We talked the next day. He admitted he’d always felt something different for me, and that he knew now for sure that he was in love with me. I’m telling you, those two kisses changed the world for me. You know how you hear about that one kiss that makes your heart beat fast, seems like fireworks are blowing up all around you, makes you nervous, makes you happy, makes you want to throw up, and makes you want to scream all at the same time? Those kisses were exactly like that. Levi was the love of my life. I knew that for sure.
By October, we were completely in love. Beyond normality. And it wasn’t that the first few months were exciting, and then the love slowly faded. We were just creating a base for our love then. We knew that we were going to be together forever. We weren’t just lovers or boyfriends. We were best friends. Our lives were made to be shared with eachother. October 8th, he proposed. I said yes.
Mid November, he was tested to see if his chemo had done the job, and he was cancer free. It was the most exciting news I’d ever heard. I was going to marry Levi one day. We were going to share our lives together. We were going to grow old together. We would forever be in eachother’s company, supporting eachother through everything.
Come late December, he was getting so sick. His cancer had come back, even though it had only been about a month since he had been proclaimed cancer free. Worst news of my life. The doctors didn’t think he had much of a chance of pulling through.
Needless to say, we spent as much time as we could together, though this time it was bad. He was constantly sick, and his body wasn’t taking the chemo well. At times, he could barely get up. He was of course forced to stay in the hospital because of that, and then due to the situation (and the fact that his father his a surgeon at that hospital), they were offering to put him on Hospice. Levi didn’t want that.
Time passed. Come January 2nd, I got a call. His vitals were going down. It wasn’t going to be long, likely. I rushed over to the hospital to see him. I stayed with him, holding his hand tightly, and then he made me a promise. He said, “Kiyoshi, I swear to you that when I pass, I will wait outside Heaven’s gates for you. I’ll stay outside, growing old as you do, and the moment you pass on, we’ll go into Heaven together, and everything will be perfect. We’ll have our first rock in a rocking chair together as an old couple, and I will continuously tell you how beautiful you are.”
And then the song that he would always sing to me when he thought I was asleep, he sang. “Let me be the one who calls you baby all the time. Surely you can take some comfort knowing that you’re mine. Just hold me tight; lay by my side, and let me be the one who calls you baby all the time. I found my place in the world. Could stare at your face for the rest of my days. Now I can breathe. Turn my insides out, and smother me. Warm and alive, I’m all over you. Would you smother me? Let me be the one who never leaves you all alone. I hold my breath and lose the feeling that I’m on my own. Hold me too tight; stay my side, and let me be the one who calls you baby all the time. When I’m alone, time goes so slow. I need you here with me. And how my mistakes have made your heart break. Still I need you here with. And baby I’m, baby I’m here.” Our last kiss happened then. It was long, soft, full of emotions. Our last “I love you”s were exchanged. And then we cried together. We cried hard. It wasn’t often to see Levi in tears. I had only seen him cry a handful of times before, unlike me, who cries just about five times every day. But these tears were different. That moment, we shared our feelings of absolute terror. The emotions in the room were the most painful I’d ever felt.
And then he slowly went. His breathing stopped, the machine’s regular beeping that I had heard for so long went flat. It was so unfamiliar. I started screaming. I screamed and begged for him to wake up. I wanted it to be a joke, a dream, anything but reality.
The reality was he had passed. I hadn’t expected it to be so soon. Actually, I hadn’t expected it to ever happen. When I was younger, crying on his shoulder, I never thought that would be gone. But now it was.
We never got married, but I’m okay with that now. I realize that marriage was just an uneccessary title for something we already knew was true. We were made for eachother, and we would be together forever. I’ll see him again one day. I’ll see him in Heaven.
And then later in January, I found a book of his poetry in his room, deep in his drawers. I’ll type up a few of his poems and put them on here. They really reflect on what he was feeling, and I feel blessed to have these now. I’m going to keep this poetry book and the ring he gave me with me forever.